The KPT-920 DLX series dashcam by Kapture has been released and looks promising as a contender to compete with more premium dashcam brands in the market. Kapture’s idea behind the KPT-920 was not only to capture your on-road incidents, but to take driver safety and security to a completely new level.
This year we have seen many brands taking this approach implementing driver security features, here’s how the KPT-920 compares.
The Kapture KPT-920 uses a Full HD 1080p 2 megapixel front facing camera. Our tests displayed the camera performing well with overall very clear footage. The camera was able to pick up car license plates with ease and even managed to perform well whilst recording in low light.
Unfortunately Kapture does not currently have an option to include a rear camera which is unfortunate for people looking to run a dual channel system.
The built in Wi-Fi functionality allows for live footage playback and the ability to export footage to your device wirelessly. The Wi-Fi functionality is used through the ‘Life Cam’ Smartphone application which is available from the Play Store for Android devices and App Store for Apple devices.
The Smartphone app ran relatively smooth on my Samsung Galaxy S7. I was able to export footage, view live playback and adjust settings with ease. The app did occasionally crash while in use which became frustrating, although it was as simple as re-opening the app to get get it going again.
ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems)
ADAS is a feature used by many dashcam products which incorporates driver safety features including lane departure warnings, forward collision warnings and much more. The KPT-920 is Kapture’s first camera to incorporate this functionality, here’s what is can do:
- Lane Departure Warning: Alerts when your vehicle leaves its driving lane
- Forward Collision Warning: Alerts when driving too close to the vehicle in front of you
- Front Car Movement Detection: Alerts when the vehicle in front of you moves forward
- Speed Cam Alert: Alerts when approaching your saved speed cam locations
- Headlight Warning: Detects low light conditions and issues a headlight alert
- Speed Limit Alert: Alerts when your vehicle exceeds a pre-set speed limit
- GPS – GPS functionality is built in which will track your speed and location. This can be useful in proving you were at a given location at a given time during an incident.
- Parking Mode – The camera starts recording for 60 seconds when motion is detected when parked.
- G-Sensor – The built in G-Sensor functionality automatically saves recorded footage if the sensor is triggered by an accident.
- No memory card included – The package does not include a memory card. You will need to purchase a memory card separate in order to use the camera which can add a chunk to the cost. This is something that should be included in the package to compete with the premium range of dashcams on the market.
- Suction cup mounting – Suction cup mounted dash cams can often deteriorate and lose their suction on the windshield. Dashcam’s mounted with adhesive tape is a more long term solution to keeping your camera mounted.
- No Mac viewer – There is no dedicated Mac viewer at this time meaning any Apple users will need to use the Smartphone application to export their footage and update settings at this time.
The KPT-920 is a great dash cam with loads of features, but Kapture still has allot of room to improve it. The product seems rushed and not correctly thought through in terms of functionality and design. The feature list including ADAS, Wi-Fi & GPS makes the dash cam seem appealing, but lacks in many small aspects that count. The KPT-920 is definitely Kapture’s best dashcam to date, although needs allot of improvement to compete with more premium dash cams on the market.